Thursday, April 12, 2012

Obsidium Executioner vs Armagedillo's Tail

[:1]Obsidium Executioner ~vs~ Armagedillo's Tail

Please pardon my 'newbness' as my DK has been sitting almost completely idle for the past 12 months. I decided to pick her up again and start playing and would like to know which of these two weapons would be better for an Unholy DK. The reason my gear is so crummy, yet somehow I made it to L82 on this character is because the only thing this character has been doing is cooking and fishing dailys in org (occassionally) over the past year, otherwise, yeah, sitting idle. I've updated some gear and will be looking at respecing to perhaps a better and/or more current Unholy spec.... but for now...

My biggest concern is which of these two weapons would be better for PVE levelling. I doubt I'll be doing much in the way of dungeons and certainly no PVP. I have both items sitting in my bag collecting dust and just need to know what everyone's thoughts are on choosing one over the other (and WHY, if you could be so kind as to explain).



Also, is it safe to assume that Fallen Crusader is still the weapon rune of choice?



(edit: wording)
Fallen Crusader is still the go.

Obsidium executioner is probably going to hit harder due to its weapon speed / damage / slightly higher ilvl, however considering you are just going to be leveling - the best weapon for you will be whichever one is cheaper on the AH.
You would probably go the executioner reforging crit to haste. Here are some rules of thumb to help determine which 2 hander is better:

1. Weapon speed. When it comes to mechanics, weapons with slower swing times do more damage on your instant strikes (look at range of damage on the weapon, the sword goes up to 1900). In this case the sword is better.
2. Item level. The actual damage and stat budget of an item is affected by this stat. The sword is level 316 and the mace 312. Also notice that with this difference, the average dps of the weapons are diferant (sword 417.6 and mace 402.3). In this case the sword wins.
3. All else being equal, the secondary stats on the weapon. After hit cap, haste is king for all dk dps specs. In this case, the secondary stats on the hammer are better, but not by enough to overcome the first 2 rules.

These rules should help with your weapon decisions.
Daemonicus: Thank you, that is what I was expecting the answer to be, but wanted to be sure. I figured the top end DPS on the sword made it better, but the secondary stats was where I was hesitant over the mace. I did not realize haste = #1 secondary state, but I did figure that mastery was near the bottom (along with expertise).

All info in your post is useful for future weapon choices. Thank you kindly.

No comments:

Post a Comment