Thursday, April 19, 2012

pvping with 1hand / 2handers frost

So while i was lvling this guy 2hand was the way to go for pvp. Then when i got this guy to 85 i was doing random bgs and saw alot of frost dks using DW. And I saw alot of the really good dks on my server that was 2hander go too DW.

So I wanted to ask the dks on the forums is there something about DW that is better then 2handers? The only thing I know thats the diffrence is that 2handers have more boorst then DW.


i find it benificial for dw in both pve and pvp. i mean yes your most likely not gona get the HUGE crit from a 2h but with dw it evens out better. from my expierence ive taken down people from grinding their health down quick from the increase from the unholy crusader on one weapon and razor ice on the other. its personal preference but i say dw is the way to go
if ur glyphed, geared, and talented right.
Well let's see.

With 2h, your getting more RP space from your tier one talent, a % damage and chance to generate RP from motfw, and a bigger punch at once when your using 2h.

With dual wield your getting more KM procs, and thats IF you can stay on your target.

Seeing how consistently you can be off your target because of kiting or the like, I find the burst of a 2h to be far superior, though not so much so that it makes dw bad, some people may just prefer the second DK weapon enchant and the looks
I'd go DW over 2H, if only for all of the extra KM procs. Then there's the proc's from your runewords and any trinkets you may have equipped. The extra Rune Power you get from Might of the Frozen Wastes isn't much of a buff, it's easy to generate plenty of RP while DW, just from applying diseases, chains, etc. Then there's the sheer speed of your attacks, and (correct me if I'm wrong, but) the shorter cool downs for abilities and rune regeneration. With both diseases up and KM proc'd, I've seen Oblits hit players for 40k (they average 20-25k). You can get off a 2 Oblits and a Frost Strike dump in the amount of time it would take to land 1-2 2H hits, and those 2H hits might barely hit harder, if just as hard, considering you want be proc'ing KM nearly as much. Some people say, "Well, you'll just run out of runes and RP faster and then be stuck," but as long as you manage your resources and time your abilities properly, you'll always have attacks ready to go. As far as kiting goes, I use Chilblains and keep throwing Chains on my targets in between groups of attacks, and I save Death Grip for mid-fight if they get too far away. I'm sure personal preference plays a role, but I've always found DW to put more pressure on targets and ultimately do way more dmg. The slow swings of a 2H weapon give the enemy time to kite, stun you, or chop you up, while the constant onslaught of (properly managed) DW doesn't give them much time for anything at all. I'm not claiming to be a PvP expert (I hit 85 w/ this toon around when Season 10 ended, and my only arena experience is on my first main, a pally), I've only done PuG BG's with my DK, I just know what seems to work well for me and what the post-game stats say. If you have any questions/want help/advice/etc., feel free to ask me though.
As Frost in PvP, I've put out WAY more damage as Dual Wield than any 2 Hander I've come across. DW weapons cost more Honor Points as a pair, and I notice that people generally prefer to go 2h because of it.
Each have their own benefits, neither one could be considered completely dominant over the other... many people these days are starting to like frost due to its huge burst potential.

I'll set it up nicely

2H

-More RP due to the chance to gain it on auto attacks, this makes it most beneficial for 2handers to use their death runes on Necrotic because they will have nicer natural flow of RP
-Harder hitting necrotic strikes due to no talent for off-hand, only a small difference but still a difference
-Able to use obliterate on cloth/leather users only below 35% as a big burst potential if a few necrotics are still up, all other times a HB+Necrotic is a better use of runes
-harder hitting melee abilities due to 10% increase from talents
-slightly bigger necrotic absorbs due to 2handers having more total strength than a DW pair

DW

-Less RP due to no gain on auto-attacks(unless you go the 8/31/2 build which i'm not as fond of but i've seen it work so i cant bash it), so it is more beneficial for dual wielders to use death runes on HB so you still have RP for those Frost strike KMs
-More KM procs which can lead to insane burst, Dual wielders actually get higher Frost Strike crits than 2handers, getting an addon that adds the two together makes this easy to see. I've dumped a full bar of RP getting a KM proc for each FS... the damage is insane.
-Harder hitting frost abilities by 10% due to having an extra Rune of razorice in the offhand, or possible alternative of swordbreaker for less disarm time
-More mastery due to being able to reforge 3% less hit into that beautiful frost damage
-Harder hitting Howling blasts helps out with plate classes and ferals who absorb heavy melee damage.

I probably missed a few things because i just woke up but thats the most of it.

With more KM procs and better howling blast damage due to razorice + more mastery leads to higher burst potential to a larger variety opponents. This IMO is why a good amount of people are choosing DW these days.
Thanks for the help guys. This info has helped alot. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment